USB Hard Drive not removable in 2.6.12
Steev
2005-06-21 01:13:02 UTC

Alan Stern
2005-06-21 13:56:01 UTC
Post by Steev
I am having an issue with a Firefly USB external 20GB hard drive. Using
kernel 2.6.11 and below, the device mounted fine. However, mm-sources
from 2.6.12-rc4-mm1 and above (and 2.6.12) it no longer mounts fine.
Not entirely true - It does, if I create the mount point manually,
however, I use pmount and hal/dbus. I have tracked down the error, by using
resolved /dev/sda1 to device /dev/sda1
mount point to be used: /media/FIREFLY
no iocharset given, current locale encoding is UTF-8
locale encoding uses UTF-8, setting iocharset to 'utf8'
Cleaning lock directory /var/lock/pmount/_dev_sda1
find_sysfs_device: looking for sysfs directory for device 8:1
find_sysfs_device: checking whether /dev/sda1 is on /sys/block/sda (8:0)
find_sysfs_device: major device numbers match
find_sysfs_device: minor device numbers do not match, checking
partitions...find_sysfs_device: checking whether device /dev/sda1
matches partition 8:0
find_sysfs_device: checking whether device /dev/sda1 matches partition 8:1
find_sysfs_device: -> partition matches, belongs to block device
/sys/block/sda
device_removable: corresponding block device for /dev/sda1 is /sys/block/sda
get_blockdev_attr: value of /sys/block/sda/removable == 0
Error: device /dev/sda1 is not removable
policy check failed
I am not sure what all information to provide, this is on a Sharp Mebius
laptop, I use the uhci-hcd module, and usb mass storage.
cat /sys/block/sda/removable returns 0 (it should return 1 shouldn't it?)
No, it should return 0. The "removable" attribute refers to the drive's
media. For example, a ZIP drive stores data on cartridges that can be
inserted or removed from the drive, so it uses removable media. Your
Firefly drive does not have removable media.

Apparently the author of pmount or the policy check has confused
"removable" with "hot-pluggable". Your USB drive is hot-pluggable but it

Steev
2005-06-21 18:06:11 UTC